All completed interviews must be turned in today for 50 points
Tuesday-Thursday, 3/17 - 3/19 - Students will collect and organize their data and begin their rough drafts
Friday, 3/20- Articles are due NO EXCUSES or EXTENSIONS!!
Goal: Students will brainstorm, interview, and write a news article
Daily quiz:
This week you will practice quizzes 51-54
Test will be Friday- Along with your final article
http://www.newsroom101.com/
Daily Reading: Read all of the articles:
Read and comment on one of the articles listed below:
Super-Memory Man Has 'Hard Drive' Brain
Say It Ain't So! Economy Kills Little League?
Island of the Rats: Soon it May Be Rat-Free
Electric Cars Charge Ahead
$300 Computer Sets New Standard
Close Call: Space Crew to Escape Capsule
(Due on Thursday)
comment on this blog:
43 comments:
Super-Memory Man Has 'Hard Drive' Brain
Theresa S
That is one of the coolest things i've ever read in my life. I wish my memory was that good, it would make studying for tests and remembering due dates for projects and such a million times easier.
ok i read the article about the guy with crazyly amazing memory. he is nuts i wish i could have memory like that. and how about that he rememberes all but 2 birthdays since he was five and everything else he did on those days. its completly nuts.
Say It Ain't So! Economy Kills Little League?
I cannot believe that the economy is screwing up Little League baseball. I mean it is one thing for parents to not buy their little boy a video game, but not letting their son/daughter play baseball or softball and get excercise is just wrong
Jessica S
Rat Island
I really don't think it's fair to kill the rats on the island. They're oblivious that they are causing a problem and it's not their fault that theyre there, so they should just leave the things alone and let them live as they have been. If it's a fight to survive thing so other species live there too that's the animals problems and it's nature.
Samantha R.
Alex Y.
Electric Cars Charge Ahead;
I think this new idea on being able to charge cars is a good idea. It could help how much we pay on gas. This new car is a plug-in hybrid that can get up to 100 miles per gallon.
While only a few our on the road, their pretty sure more will be out.
Seriously, who wants to pay the gas prices these days?
Super-Memory Man Has 'Hard Drive' Brain
I think it is amazing that he has a memory that good and that there are only a few people like that in America. I think scientist should do studies to see what causes it.
Super-memory man has 'hard drive' brain
-Arielle Malatesta
I think it would be absolutely amazing to have a memory like this guy considering my long-term memory is pretty much non-existent. It's also very convenient to have when needing to remember friend and family member's birthdays/special days. It would also be an honor to be one out of 4 people with this amazing ability.
super memory man has hard drive brain
allie p-
i think it would be really cool to have a memory like a hard drive brain or a computer. i would never have to say oh i forgot (like i always do). it would be really easy to remember birthdays or anniversaries without having to ask the person or tell them the day after.
The man that has the super memory would be really cool to have. That would make school so much easier and who wouldn't want school to be really easy. However, it would stink to be able to remember bad times in your life perfectly it would almost be like your reliving that day.
I think it is really cool how he has such a good memory like that, I wish I did. Most of the time I can't even remember what I did the day before. I don't know how he can remember what he had done many many years ago, but I think it is pretty awesome. Ally B.
To have a super memory like that would be truly incredible. I have to wonder how far back he can remember, for example, can he remember everything about the day he was born?
Megan G
I think that the man with the autobiographical memory is odd and it is amazing at the same time. It's wierd how some people can remember stuff for so many years, yet some people can't remember what they had for breakfast by the time it's lunch time. It's deffinately something newsworthy.
- Chad H.
I think the super memory was cool. I'd love to have that kind of memory. I can't even remember what I ate for lunch three days ago, let alone years ago.
Brittany G.
The whole article about the rats was creepy, the rats are to blame for animal extinction on the island. I think they should have gotten rid of them when the ship wrecked in the first place. Come on everybody knows that animals do populate when left uncontrolled.
Jessica B.
Super-memory man has 'hard drive' brain
I think that is amazing..I escpecialy like the part where they asked him dates and he recalled them instantly.
Tyler P
I think all those rats on that island is pretty sad. Since that shipwreck they have basically taken over everything on the island and even have caused some species to go extinct. I think they are just very mean to come to another "neighbors" home and take it over.
Bella
The Electric car.
I think that the car that could run on electric would save us alot of money. The car could have up to 100 miles per gallon. I think that this car is a good idea.
Dakota M
Say It Ain't So! Economy Kills Little League?
I think it is terrible that the economy is affecting little leagues. A lot of kids look forward to playing baseball. It is something fun to do, and it is great exercise. But because many businesses are going out of business, they cannot sponsor the teams. America might see a time where there are no little leagues because it is just too expensive.
Kelly S
I think that the hybrid car is nonsense and a waste of money. Yeah it is cool and you wouldn't have to put much gas in it, but then your electricity bill will be sky high and thne you wouldn't be able to afford it. People are complaining now because of how high bills are. Picture it when you have to charge your car every night.
Katie B sent the one above
Super-memory man has 'hard drive' brain
I think that article was cool. I would love to have that kind of memory because it would help me with tests and stuff like that.
-Jordan S
the whole memory article is a little wierd... people can remember stuff from a while back, even the date... but i still think that guy is good at remembering stuff from 1978 and the day it happened (Wednesday)
The memory article is kind of freaky but yet so cool. It would be simply amazing to remember anytime back in your lifetime. Its just so weird to memorize events that happend years and years ago. But it would be an awesome quality to have.
$300 Computer Sets New Standard
I definately think that this new Mini netbook Isn't all that great for buisness people, or teenagers, who spend a whole lot of time on the computer. From what the article says, the netbook doesn't have a great battery life, and it has low memory; this can be a problem for buisness people who save large files and such on their laptops, and it is a problem for teens because we take a bajillion pictures for Myspace and Facebook which take up a ton of space.
I have a Dell Mini Laptop that is similar to this netbook, and it is okay to do homework and little things like that on...But it is a bit hard to type on because of the tinier keys and such.
The one good thing about the new netbook would be the price and how easily it can be transported.
-Mary B.
Super-memory man has 'hard drive' brain
Wow. This man must have done really well in school. Being able to memorize things that easily, and remember them for as long as he has is just phenomenal.
But then again, it could be a major burden. After all, if someone did something to him that he did not like, he and a friend got into a fight and things were said that were regretted, etc. he would always remember that.
I do not know if I would want to remember everything that ever happened in my life ever, especially with that much detail.
Rebecca M.
I think that the mini computer is just a waist of money, it may be cheap but your missing out on many applications, battery life, memory, i think you should just save up and get a more expensive laptop that will work and last. this mini laptop is tini but only really good for surfing the web. i wouldnt waist my money on it.
Jake C.
Super-Memory Man Has 'Hard Drive' Brain
I read this article and I think that this is insane! At first I wondered if he was just making it up for publicity, but then as I kept reading I began to think that it is probably true. I wish I had a memory like that!!
Alyssa A.
Super-Memory Man Has 'Hard Drive' Brain
After reading this article, I'm absolutely amazed by how this man could probably remember my whole life in like .4 seconds. Although, I kind of think that there are more then just a handful of people who have that ability. We probably just haven't discovered it. Honestly though? I wish I had that memory.
I'd never forget things again!
I think the $300 laptop is really cool, I would totally buy it unless it's a cheap piece of crap, but it is cool!
Zach E.
Kyle Bower
I do not think that having a hard drive brain would be very neat at all. personally in my opinion i think its rather stupid. forgetting things and making memory mistakes are part of life it is only human. i do not feel that making alterations to a brain and giving a 'hard drive' brain is very neat. doing such is being purposely abnormal, and that is not something i would want because then it would create more popularity for one, and that is not what i would want
Nick P.
Little League baseball is the foundation for our youth. Younger kids learn values that they can use later in life. I think that at all costs, a little league should be able to run. Little league baseball is a great way to keep kids out of trouble. Its one of those things that should be kept around for everyone's sake.
Amanda Stotler
Super-Memory Man Has 'Hard Drive' Brain
I think it's pretty cool that that guy has a great memory. He could remember almost every detail about his life. I'd love to have a memory like that.
I think it's kind of sad about what's happening with Little League. I feel kind of bad for the kids whose families cannot afford to put them in it, because a lot of them are really really good. I think it's also really pathetic how much prices are rising just to get food at a Little League game.
I think it's pretty cool how that guy has such a great memory. I wish i could have a memory like that. He could remember just about every detail. They should do research and studies on that to help others get a memory like his.
-AshleyR
I think the super memory man's brain is really cool. That would be fun to remember things that nobody else remembers.
Morgan Hicks... I find the Super Memory Man very interesting but kind of disturbing. He remembers everything he could strangely use that to his advantage.
Electric Cars Charge Ahead
I think a plug-in hybrid is a great idea. 100 miles to the gallon, how great is that? We all know, those gas prices are getting really annoying. Like the article says, there are only a few out right now, but I'm sure as the word gets out, more cars will come along.
- Jess Brannon
Super-Memory Man Has 'Hard Drive' Brain:
I think it would be so awesome to have a brain like that. To never forget any appointments, adresses, phone numbers, etc. would be a great "power."
Super-Memory Man Has 'Hard Drive' Brain
I think it is amazing that he has a memory that good and that there are only a few people like that in America. I think scientist should do studies to see what causes it. Also, it would be pretty cool to remember almost anything.
Adam K.
the guy with the amazing memory is awesome. I wish i could remember things like that, i have trouble keeping things straight from day to day. It's unbelievable that he can remember the day that Princess Diana died, and who played and what the score was.
A $300 computar, WOW. This is great for people who just wanna go on the internet and it's just so cheap, when i get a job, i'll get one
Alec H
KATELYN KELCHNER
Features Editor
Following their incredible debut of Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Berwick High School’s drama club was left with the challenging prospect of selecting a play for their second year’s performance. It was desired to find a play with a more casual style of language than that of a Shakespearean play, to help the audience connect with the story. In the end, the beloved classic, Peter Pan, was chosen. Preparations began immediately, from casting and memorizing lines to the meticulous construction of the sets and costumes. Every moment of rehearsal time was put to good use, resulting in a truly stunning performance.
Though many people are most familiar with the Disney version of the play, the drama club chose to keep as close to the original storyline, written by J. M. Barrie, as possible. They play follows the adventures of three siblings, Wendy Darling (Audra Briggs, junior), John Darling (James Dent, sophomore), and Michael Darling (Ryan Baur, freshman), as they travel to Neverland with the mystical, perpetually young boy, Peter Pan (Destiny Deater, junior), his fairy, Tinkerbell (Meghann Vezendy, senior, and Vestina Stere, sophomore) and his band of Lost Boys (Courtney Gibson, freshman, Shyann Deater, Ashley Stewart, and Lynsea Cartier, sophomores, Catrina Troy, junior, and Tarra Williamoski, senior). While in Neverland, the Darlings encounter Indians, come across mermaids, and help Peter and his Lost Boys battle a pirate crew led by the vicious Captain Hook (Joshua Gallagher, senior). As the play progresses, it is apparent that both Wendy and the Indian princess, Tiger Lily (Katie Kempinski, junior) are vying for Peter’s attentions; however, his refusal to grow up leaves him blind to the type of affection they seek. He wishes for Wendy to be his mother, which she realizes she cannot be, as she needs a mother as well. In the end, the pirates are defeated, and the Darling children return to their home. Wendy agrees to annually go back to Neverland with Peter for spring cleaning, but he eventually forgets to return for her. By the next time he comes back, Wendy has grown old, married, and had a daughter named Jane (Sarah Allen, junior). Peter is saddened, but takes Jane to Neverland in Wendy’s place.
From the moment the curtains parted, revealing the Darling’s home, a feeling of magic was present. Seamless set changes created a sense of floating through the story, much as the children soared through Neverland. The pirate ship set used during Peter’s final dual with Hook seemed to appear out of nowhere, surprising the audience. The sight of the large mast in the center of the stage, complete with a billowing sail, was thoroughly dazzling to behold. Only one aspect of the show was able to top the beautifully crafted sets, and that was the superb acting done by every drama member on stage. Destiny Deater shined as Peter Pan, making the forever-young boy a very real character. Joshua Gallagher excelled in his role as Peter’s enemy, Captain Hook. His performance captured every essence of a pirate, while still evoking a lighthearted feel that amused the audience. Kaytlin Krepich, sophomore, was cast as the only thing that Hook feared: a crocodile that had eaten his hand, as well as a clock. Every time the crocodile appeared, ticking loudly, Hook ran in fear like a frightened girl. The combined performances by Gallagher and Krepich were one of the highlights of the show. Behind the scenes, the light and sound crew did a spectacular job at bringing life to the dancing green light that was Tinkerbell, as well as lending the perfect mood to each scene. In the final curtain call, each actor and crewmember received the applause they deserved for all the hard work and dedication that went into producing the show. The drama club’s performance was brilliant in every way, making Peter Pan a success!
Rebecca McGann
Pd. #3
Color Guard Article
The third marking period is coming to a close. Many clubs and classes are starting to wrap up the year. Some however, are just starting again.
One of those student groups is the band. Uniforms are collected, and some groups of instruments are already practicing. One group that is already well on their way is the color guard.
The color guard is already starting to work towards next marching season. Sessions to work on the skills to be in color guard are now going on. They are from 6:30 to 8:00 pm in the high school music area. They are on March 23rd, April 6th, April 20th, May 4th, and May 18th.
On those dates, the high schoolers hoping to join the guard will be working. The people who come to those work sessions will be taught and will work on the necessary skills. Not only that, but they will get to know new people and interact with them.
“The best thing [about being in the color guard] was learning something new and making new friends I’ll keep throughout high school,” freshman and one-year color guard member Alexandria Yost said. “Band and color guard became my family.”
That family is very close, especially since they spend so much time together. The color guard spends just as much time working as the band does.
Yost said that she will remember the early morning practices where she was “probably the only hyper one there.” She also said that she will also remember the night practices and all of the competitions for the rest of her life.
Those memories are important, just like the color guard is important to the band performance.
“You hear the band,” freshman Kelly Shiptoski said. “But the color guard is visual and colorful.”
That colorful addition to the band makes the performance better.
“Without [the color guard] we would not have a good band to compete with,” senior band member Kyle Bower said. “They add humor and fun [to the performance].”
The humor and fun does not just end on the field.
“We all have a good time,” Bower said.
To have fun in this group, it is simple: Come to the practices and see if you like it.
“Have a positive attitude and go for it. You will ever know what you can do with this category unless you try it out,” Yost said. “It might be something that changes your whole life for the better. I know it did for me.”
For more information about joining what could be a life changing experience, contact Mr. Wasser in the music wing or any of the members of last year’s color guard.
Post a Comment